Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Time

The Lord has been teaching me some interesting things about time in the last week or so. He's also been teaching me about trust, patience, humility and a litany of things along those lines but we'll save those for another day.

During a particularly anxious day, the Lord brought these verses to mind.

  • Proverbs 16:9-"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps."
  • Proverbs 19:21-"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."
  • James 4:13-16-"Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.' As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.
I was feeling trapped, like I couldn't plan or function beyond a few minutes or hours. God used these verses to remind me, even when I feel like I can plan it is His plans that prevail not mine. I am planning with an open hand these days. I am learning His plans will prevail no matter what I plan and that is good. It can be a hard lesson to learn but definitely a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Fun to find your blog! Thank you for sharing with me about the studies you have enjoyed...or are enjoying. I just finished "Good and Angry" and am reading "Crazy Love". On Thursday we will start a new bible study at church. I am hoping to do Beth Moore's "Esther" but will need to be in prayer about which study the Lord has for me. Quiet time has always been a struggle for me. I am finally finding that 6:02 a.m. is the perfect time that God has for me. We miss you guys! The time just doesn't seem to allow for me to be in contact and our last trip through Dayton ended with us all with the stomach flu ~ the WHOLE time! Anyway, I will add you to my favorites so that I can keep up with your beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to be reminded of these truths! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete