Thursday, March 24, 2011

Craftivism

I was inspired by this blog to reach out to the ladies at our church to craft with purpose. I had many purposes in mind: to promote fellowship, learn and/or teach new skills, provide ways to show God's love in a practical way. There are so many crafts I think I want to try and accomplish but some how never get to starting much less completish. I got to thinking, there had to be others out there feeling the same way. Why not make it social and purposeful? I reached out to another gal who I knew crafted some as well. We met for coffee one day and landed on a date and project.

Our first meeting took place this month and we made hats from sweaters we found at thrifts stores and felted. I made up a few treats to spur on the fellowship side of things. Unfortunately, I forgot to take any pics of the food and some people left before I brought out the camera.

Crystal, Erinn, Joyce and some of our hats.

The menu included: tomato and cucumber tea sandwiches on homemade bread (in the shape of a flower or star), buttermilk scones with dried cranberries, lemon bread, mint tea punch and coffee. The scones, lemon bread and punch recipes all came from my Causing a Stir Cookbook (a Dayton Junior League project). I picked this cookbook up the year I graduated from Cedarville on a whim and it has become a favorite. One of my go-to cookbooks.

Our workspace.
It was such a fun afternoon! We made several darling hats and there are a few left to finish up. Our pastor's parents take several missions trips a year to various places around the globe and will take these hats with them for those who need them.

I am quite excited about our next project! In April we will meet to knit, crochet and/or possibly cut felt squares for Knit a Square. The squares get sent in and then made into blankets. It's such a great, practical project. The squares are easy to do and a great learning project for beginners as well as the experienced knitter or crocheter. I'm excited to relearn how to knit! I have already started to work on the menu. Simple finger foods are a must to allow for the knitting, crocheting and eating. If you live in the area and want to join in, shoot me an e-mail and let me know! I will be better about the picture taking next time.





2 comments:

  1. Very cool! You know I would be all over that if I lived closer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hats are adorable!Very fun

    ReplyDelete