Thursday, March 06, 2008

Dishes, Dog Training and Cupcakes

Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer is having a Spur-Of-The-Moment-Dish-Carnival. Since I love dishes, I had to join. The first set is the set we received for our wedding. It's a four place setting of Pottery Barn's Sausalito Collection. We love these dishes and would like to add place settings in another color.The next set was my husband's when we got married. Someone a long time ago had given him a four place setting of Pfaltzgraff's Heritage Collection. We added a lot of plates from various second hand stores to have enough to serve dinner at house church each week. Then we found out that the grandmother I'm named after (middle name), had a complete 8 place setting complete with serving pieces. She recently gifted the whole set to me!The third set are my "winter dishes" that parents gave us for Christmas one year. They are from Kohl's, the "Lodge". I have 8 place settings but very few of the serving pieces so I am always on the look-out for some to add to my collection.

Does anyone have any great ideas for teaching a dog to roll over? I don't think I'm going about this the right way. I taught her to sit and lay within half-an-hour. I think stay and come are ongoing. ;-p Anyway, we started to work on rolling over yesterday and she.RAN.AWAY.from.TREATS! This does not bode well for me and teaching her to roll over. I had her sit. I had her lay. I said "Roll over" and used the hand signal I had decided to use. Then I "helped" her to roll over. Then I gave her a treat. I don't think she was having much fun because she started to run away when we got to the roll over part--despite my handful of treats. Normally, she won't be more than a nose away from a handful of treats. This is not going well.

Last night I finally gave in to the craving I had been having--I made cupcakes. I made these cupcakes and frosted them using this frosting. I got the idea from this new favorite blog. I'm not sure what is wrong with me! I love to cook and bake and am always looking for new recipes. However, until recently, it has never occurred to me to check out food blogs! Seriously! Anyway, they are delicious!!! I'm thinking about eating one now with some espresso. Yum mm.

5 comments:

  1. Pfalzgraff Heritage is such a classic pattern. My SIL has them. I like those green dishes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://ttelroc.blogspot.com/2008/03/pioneer-woman.html

    The link above is the post I just recently put up on my blog about my favorite foodie blog. YUM! I've made a few things from the site - LOVE IT

    Love your Pottery barn dishes, my sister has those in cream and yellow - I have the studio collection line in putty and caramel.

    Have A Great Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Pfalzgraff Heritage, simple and classic.

    I just came opver to your site for the first time and was hoping that I could get an invite to next year's Oscar party! Looks like fun.

    See you tomorrow,
    The Park Wife
    www.theparkwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kenya has gotten so big! And no I have no tips:) Those cupcakes looked yummy though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:41 PM

    Lovely dishes.

    On training the dog: roll over usually take a lot of work. The best way I've found is to start with a settle command - where you get the dog to lay on her side for you with a hand motion. To do that, get her to lay down, then lure her into a side-laying position to help her understand "settle". Once she's mastered that and will stay in a settle position, and let you mess with her feet and belly, she's probably ready to try "roll over."

    Again, the roll over should be completed by the dog - by luring her with treats - not by manhandling her or "helping her."

    Good luck. Best dog training book I've ever read is "The Complete Idiots Guide to Dog Training."

    ReplyDelete